RESEARCH FUNDS – Team-TERRA
Trainees affiliated with the Team-TERRA program can apply for Research Funds for any research purpose. Please note that all proposals for RF projects should relate to the goals of the Team-TERRA program, broadly defined. In order, RF priorities will be:
- Pilot funds to support new research ideas proposed by a team involving Team-TERRA trainees from at least 2 PhD programs
- Pilot funds to support new research ideas proposed by a team including at least one Team-TERRA trainee and a faculty member from a different PhD program
- Pilot funds to support new research proposed by a single Team-TERRA trainee
- Funding to organize training not available at UConn by bringing external personnel to UConn, provided it benefits the broader Team-TERRA community
- Funding to travel for training not available at UConn, with higher priority for training that will have benefits to Team-TERRA personnel in addition to the trainee who travels
- Other innovative activities – we cannot anticipate all possibilities; if you have an idea, propose it!
- Conference travel will be funded via RF occasionally, but only when: (1) a compelling rationale for innovative outcomes is provided, and (2) the trainee seeks other funding first and is unable to obtain sufficient funding from sources such as advisors, faculty co-authors, departments, or the graduate school. Highest priority will be given to trainee talks or posters where the trainee is the primary presenter. We typically will not support secondary co-authors or more than one trainee per presentation. ** PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE IF CONDITIONS ON CONFERENCE FUNDING WILL BE RELAXED UNTIL IF SPENDING CATCHES UP TO THE PLANNED BUDGET **
Regarding Research Funding:
- We want to remind you that we will fast track applications for equipment, software, paying online participants, etc., that will facilitate working from home.
- Note that funds can be used for any innovative purpose. This could be for training or equipment. Examples could include a laptop for research purposes (note that laptops remain UConn property when you leave), external hard drives, a specialized instrument, etc.
- A small change: we will fast track research proposals for amounts up to ~$5000 (up from ~$2k) if they involve at least one Team-TERRA trainee. A new consideration in our review will be the potential for innovation funding to facilitate external funding proposals (research grants, fellowship applications, etc.); this is a desirable, not required, dimension.
- Another small change: we will also consider larger proposals, though the potential for leading to external funding will be a more important consideration for such proposals.
Team-TERRA Research Funds APPLICATION
Team-TERRA personnel, you can download the application, complete it and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have received an award for innovation incentive funding, and you would like to extend the ‘spend by date’, please complete the extension form 90 days before the award end date or you may risk having the funds returned to the innovation incentive funds account.